Wednesday 22 June 2011

Peter Nicklin


Many of you may remember that I had a spot of bother actually qualifying and so it was not until 1962 that I finally made it. Nevertheless I have been assured that it will be alright to submit my history to all you 1961-ers, as I am sure I will asked again for the 1962-ers. Sadly I will not be able to join in the celebrations this year.

I was born in Zanzibar and brought up in Malawi and Zambia and it was always my intention to get back to Zambia as soon as I could. This I did in 1964, joining a mining company where I was one of ten doctors. Here I stayed for eleven years, getting thrown into anaesthetics, getting married and having two children.

The Zambian economy is dependent largely on copper and, when it became clear that the industry was going into decline, it was also clear it was time to go. And where did I go? Back to Guys. This for six months so as to get a DA. I realised, though, that anaesthetics was not for me and, instead, I pursued general practice.

I have nothing against Gosport and, indeed, I had a happy two years there but I am not sure I could have stuck it for the rest of my working life. So when an offer came for work in Mombasa, g.p.cum anaesthetist, I moved again, with my family, to my beloved Africa. And here I have been ever since, 34 years, even taking out Kenyan citizenship. After seven years at the coast I moved inland to a huge hydro-electric scheme and a most enjoyable job, unfortunately ending when the dam was built. Then four years at a private hospital at the foot of Mount Kenya. Then back to Mombasa, sort of, where I joined Starline Cruises as their ship's doctor on a lovely little ship, the Royal Star, for five years.

A life at sea is no place for a happily married life and unfortunately mine crumbled. I thought I had better put roots down somehere and what better than a horticultural company in Naivasha. I married the ship's photographer, had two more children (now 10 and 8), left the rose farm after four years, returning to general practice (in Naivasha) where I have been for the past decade.

So no chance of retirement just yet. My g.p. work includes doctoring for three small flower farms, a tourist hotel and a prep. school but this still leaves time for golf. I live at the local golf club, the first tee being no more than 25 metres from my front door. I should really be better than I am, at golf that is, but, although I have had both knees replaced and can happily stroll through 18 holes, both my shoulders are now packing up, severely restricting both backswing andfollow-through.

My multi-talented wife is amazing; pianist, artist and cook. She has set up a small company called Life Beads Kenya, employing sixteen people, either physically handicapped or else HIV positive, making all kinds of beadwork as well as leather and basketwork, upholstering and uniforms. She has a website: http://www.lifebeadskenya.org or click on link at right

if anyone might wish to know more.

So, that's about it. Sorry I can't be with you at the bash in September. I'm actually in England at this very moment (June), on a short visit to my not-so-well brother, and to make a second trip in a year is not possible. If anyone of you might be visiting Kenya and passing through Naivasha then we would love to see you:
e-mail pm@lifebeadskenya.org
tel. +254 733 715482
address Naivasha Sports Club, PO Box 1869, Naivasha 20117, Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment