Tuesday 6 September 2011

Malcolm Blacklee


Hello Lawrence,
I remember you as being extremely tall and hence rather good at darts being able to nearly lean over and put them in rather than throw them.
I entered in the 2nd MB year as I had achieved 4 A levels at School. After this my academic prowess tailed off somewhat but I did achieve the FRCS (Ed) in 1971. Following qualification House and Registrar jobs followed in Southend, York, Derby, Winchester, Orpington and Ashington in Northumberland in General Surgery and Orthopaedics. I met my wife Nadine over the operating table in York and we married in the harsh winter of 1963 honeymooning in the Lake District where we walked on the ice on Lake Windermere. 2 Children followed and I saw my GP colleagues doing well and so I switched to GP in 1974 finally settling in Pickering in North Yorkshire in 1975. I kept on with my Surgical interests having a weekly list at Whitby Hospital until 2004. I retired from Full time GP in 1999 and since then have travelled a fair bit; I went to Mongolia with an outfit called the Borders Exploration Group which was a private organisation taking mainly school leavers from the border areas of Scotland to different parts of the world to work play and learn. We spent 5 weeks in Mongolia in 1999 with days in China as well. I will always remember the Chinese staring at the Scots boys in their kilts in Tiaenamen Square. I went with the same Group to Peru for 5 weeks in 2003 where we built a medical centre up in the Andes south of Cusco, trekked to Machu Pichu slept on an island on Lake Titicaca and had a few days in the upper Amazon jungle. Fortuneately the teenagers and leaders of both these trips were fit and my medical calls were few and far between save for one awful episode in Mongolia when one of the teenagers was killed in a road accident. My wife and I both skied until fairly recently and we both play golf. Travel is now for holidays only but we have been to several European countries as well as China, Cambodia, Laos,north and south India,Shri Lanka, Egypt, Morrocco, South Africa, America and Canada. We have 3 grandchildren now and we will try and see as much of the rest of the world as we can before the grim reaper claims us.
Malcolm Blacklee

No comments:

Post a Comment