Tuesday 8 November 2022

Robert Sells





It would not have been too much to ask of Fate for a quiet winding-down of a chap’s affairs after retirement – restore the Lotus 7, build that model of the Mary Rose, visit grand-children……   Like most of my predictions, I got it wrong: the “phoney” retirement evaporated and we’ve had such a white-knuckle, exciting and demanding decade since our 50th class anniversary.   

Our good news has come from family -  the two sons in regular employment, a profusion of amazing grandchildren – some cousins have produced only girls so the family’s future is guaranteed straight, narrow and unswervingly de-prejudiced – and Paula created a thoroughbred racing Syndicate from which herd two flat-racer mares, Welsh Sunrise and Welsh Moonlight got 5 wins and 4 second between them.  But sadly my alpaca herd failed when the cost of spinning primary fleece rose to £50/kg (we provided 70 kg/ year). 

Then came fun, shrouded in disaster’s clothes:  In 2018 I developed  end-stage renal failure (allergic nephritis due to Lansoprazole* sensitivity).  Some of you may recall that my main interest after Monteverdi was (is still, vide infra) renal and pancreas transplantation, so you will appreciate my astonishment that I should become a patient, diagnosed with a disease  for which I had been “dishing it out” to thousands of other people over 41 years .  I’ve not yet found another transplant surgeon whom Fate has chosen for such a familiar and interesting diagnosis.  Urgent advice was obtained from my very old friend, nephrologist, guru and “skin-graft brother”, Stewart Cameron**.  Whilst on peritoneal dialysis I waited patiently for the Liverpool MDC verdict on a transplant for this 81 -year-old chronic bronchitic.  The 50:50 vote on whether Paula’s left kidney should be transplanted in me created a suspicion that some members felt uncomfortable that they might be on call on the night that the old Unit Director turned up his toes with post-op pneumonitis.  The casting vote in favour came from my old friend and director Abdul Hamad.  The real heroine, Paula, with radiologically normal kidneys, stepped forward and the day before her birthday gave me her left kidney,  Abdul officiating.  3 years later my renal function is normal and Paula is very fit.  We had never needed or desired to demonstrate  our compatibility.  But disturbingly,  the HLA mismatch showed complete incompatibility.  The clinical risk of rejection was substantially reduced by a tiny dose of the monoclonal CamPath, which has effectively reduced my blood lymphocyte count to the occasional effete, fugitive cell seen on high power microscopy, once in a blue moon.

Then there was….  But I’ve talked too much.. See you all Saturday and I look forward to it.

Best,  Robert.

*Half the Western world takes Lansoprazole; rarely, sensitivity to the drug causes renal failure in the young, according to the somewhat equivocal literature.  Evidently youth is not an essential requirement…

** Guy’s Immunologist Prof Richard Batchelor (whom you will all remember) was a pioneer investigator in the effect of HLA mismatching on the prognosis after a renal transplant.  To do this , Richard recruited volunteers in whom anti- HLA antibodies, potentially useful for tissue-typing, were evoked by exchanging 2 skin grafts, 2 months apart.  Stewart and I each have the scars to prove it.  Stewart developed a useful antibody;  I did not.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment