Monday 1 August 2011

Anne Chamberlain


As I did an intercalated degree in Anatomy I am a fraud having qualified in 1962.However Malcolm said ‘ OK ,Come’ so I look forward to seeing many of you .
My memories of Guy’s are incomplete but include the anxiety before anatomy vivas every 2 weeks and the eerie feel of the Dissecting Room in the moonlight .
I remember volunteering (?) for Jack Hunt’s experiments. We swallowed a naso-gastric tube so he could measure gastric acid through the menstrual cycle and were rewarded with 2/6 d which I thought I could save –but I was so hungry I spent it in the Spit.
I was one of Butterfield’s house physicians(doing resident path throughout the night as Sir Russell Brock operated and the patients lost gallons of blood) .We then tried to research clotting in the little lab beside William Gull ward - quaint when I view the complexities of securing research grants now .
After one firm party at our flat in Tooting Bec when Bo stubbed his cigarette in the mustard on his blind side ,David Lintott turned up to help me clear up .I appreciated such unusual behaviour and we married in 1963 and had many happy years and 3 boys together till he died in 1999.He was a superb , innovative interventional radiologist (gastro-intestinal ) at the General Infirmary at Leeds .We chose Leeds because it was near the mountains(for him ) and gave me 25 happy, productive years working with the Rheumatologist, Verna Wright.
The only one in this small team also trained in Rehabilitation Medicine , I became the Consultant in this. There was no-one else in Yorkshire to rehabilitate the younger people with strokes ,head injury or MS .We started a Rehabilitation Unit, gradually adding community rehab teams so that now (I can say it as I am retired ) we have one of the most comprehensive services in the country and one of the most well-known academic depts. The endowment of the Charterhouse Chair into the University of Leeds enabled me to start an academic dept researching disability and rehabilitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment