Tuesday 9 August 2011

Nigel Knight

Having done only bits of anatomy, physiology and pathology during my dental studies, my appetite was whetted to do the lot. So I enrolled on a medical course. Many happy memories of student days include numerous (liquid) lunches at the King’s Head with Lawrence Youlten and John Robertson – served by big Jim who, I thought, always looked so pale and ill. Uncertain what I wanted to do when I started (with only vague notions about maxillo-facial work) I eventually settled for ENT. After pre-reg jobs and a spell in physiology, I went to the ENT hospital in Gray’s Inn Road for six months where I was joined by my great friend, Graham Fraser (a Guy’s contemporary about whom more above). We then went together as registrars to UCH, remaining for two years.

For some time before qualifying I had set my heart on a job in the West Country although unaware then that my distant roots were there. So I did my SR training in Bristol and thence to Somerset. I married and had three children (a girl and two boys) with my first wife who died 12 years ago. Save working briefly in New Zealand, I remained in Somerset for 26 years.

Fishing (mainly on Dartmoor and Exmoor but also in Scotland), golf and painting have helped to fill a lot of time before and after retirement. Wendy and I (we married in 2001) live happily in the country, play occasional golf together, walk dogs and travel a bit. I am now in my 80th year. As my energy levels reduce, I spend more time painting watercolours. Profits go mainly to charities. For several years I have done a voluntary class for the old folks in the local British Legion Home. The average age of my pupils borders on 90. Their enthusiasm is boundless. Should I ever reach their age, I should like to think I’ll be painting with the same enthusiasm but I fear not!

No comments:

Post a Comment