Wednesday 10 August 2011

Christopher Mallinson

I spent 8 years at Greenwich District Hosp and published quite a bit with Stephen Bloom on gut hormones.The two papers that stick out and are still cited were the first description of the clinical presentation of that common condition The Glucagonoma.The other was the first controlled trial of chemo vs nothing in Panc Canc.To our amazement,in which we were not alone,the regimen produced 3 to 4 months survival benefit in 40% of patients and the trial opened the way to a more positive and now slightly more effective approach to inoperable PC.But I think, myself,should the need arise, that I would stock up on opiates and good Burgundy.
I then went to Lewisham,because I could not stand two colleagues at GDH ,who resisted many attempts thereafter by the 3 wise men to dislodge them. Lewisham was full of energy and fun. Michael Price,Robin Stott and Gordon Jackson for starters.
A lot of work in Fund Raising for a new Endoscopy Unit,and a major commitment to Communication in Health Care,nationally and internationally.
Also Chair of the Gastro Section of the UEMS,intended to harmonize training and accreditation in EEC postgrads.
Evidence of my skills as a Chair and Controller of my own inclinations : A long Saturday in Cork on the 50th Anniversary of VE Day with 30 EEC delegates.The former Axis Powers being well represented and behaving as dysfunctionally as ever AND NOBODY MENTIONED THE WAR.
Last pubn :the first time communication and patient centred techniques have appeared in an English Language Medicine Text book was in my Chapter,Chap one, what else,of the last three editions of Kumar and Clark.

My two favourite anecdotes come from the first round and second outpatients as a Consultant.First I spotted that THE most unstable diabetic ever was injecting her insulin into her tea.The second was the local postmaster telling me about his emaciated mother,subsequently found to have ileal TB,in Peter Sellars Indian Dialect "Womitting ,womitting,womitting. Arl the day womitting.Ven womit stopping, then, VIND"

Now I spend as much time in the old wreck of a Burgundy farmhouse we bought 25 years ago.Gardening,a lot of landscape painting,and the joys of gastronomy.
I am also writing a children's book. About VIND.
I have left out the Middle East and Harley Street Saga.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, Nick Gross here. Still in USA and still working. I'd love to make contact again and hear about your life, which I'm sure has been interesting. Send me a message, my e-mail is grossnicholas1@gmail.com or look for Nicholas J Gross MD PhD on the internet. Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete