Monday 1 August 2011

John Winter

I met Viv Cullum from the Physiotherapy department in the bar after a singing rehearsal at Guy's, but had to ask her to pay for the drinks. We married in 1966.

Being asked to consider radiotherapy, I gave it a six month's trial, then stayed in the discipline for the rest of my working life. A gastroenterologist, whose wife is a member of the Radiotherapists Visiting Society, reckons we are the last true generalists. I followed Tony Waite and John McArthur as consultant and was glad to work in joint clinics with John Hayward, Omar Shaheen and others.

With the amalgamation of London hospitals I was able to work with colleagues from King's and St Thomas', with sessions at the latter.

Colin Keane, heading a newly formed radiotherapy department at Maidstone, asked me to work there part time, with no administrative responsibilities, after I retired from Guy's in 1993. Viv had been appointed Superintendent Physiotherapist in the Forest of Dean, so we moved from Bromley to Coleford and I commuted from Gloucester to Kent for seven years until we both retired in 2000.

We have bought a little place in south Brittany, quarter of an hour from the sea, and visit family in Bristol, Totnes and Edinburgh. We have six grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment